Oil of Oregano Can Kill Head Lice
Head lice are small parasites about the size of a sesame seed that live on human blood. They are commonly found
on the heads of people, especially children from 5 to 10 years old.
They can easily transfer through contact with infected people or through combs, hairbrushes and hats. The usual
treatments are in shampoo forms, which are mostly pesticide-based. You must be careful though in using them because
of the toxic risks. A better alternative is a natural product, oil of oregano. It has anti-parasitic properties
that can control and eliminate the spread of head lice.
Facts about Head Lice
The lifecycle of head lice is around 4 weeks. They spend 8 days in the egg state and then hatch into tiny lice and
grow into adults. These lice are found only within 1 cm of the scalp. Since their primary food is human blood, they
cannot live without it more than two days. The whole life span of a head louse is 32 to 35 days. Contrary to common
belief, head lice are not a sign of bad hygiene; they like to stay in clean hair rather than dirty hair.
Typical Ways You Get Contaminated
The ways in which you or your child gets infected are just a few. Here is a list of them:
• By using infested combs, towels and hair brushes.
• Through contact with an infected person.
• By lying on an infested bed, couch or carpet.
• By using an infested pillow or infested stuff toys.
• By wearing infested clothes, sports uniforms, coats, scarves, hats and hair ribbons.
Head Lice Symptoms
It is easy to determine the beginning of head lice infection. You will experience the following:
• Tickling sensation in the hair
• Persistent itching which can’t be controlled
• Scratching the scalp frequently
If you are infected with head lice, most medical practitioners will
recommend the use of special shampoos made specifically for killing head lice. But most often, these shampoos
contain pesticides and chemicals that are toxic. Some people have reported skin irritation, muscle pain, swelling
and even mood alterations while using these chemical shampoos.
Oil of Oregano, a Better and Safer Alternative
Since oil of oregano is a natural substance,
it is safer to use and will not leave any side effects. This essential oil is taken from the leaves of the wild
oregano. The leaves of this plant have been used for thousands of years as an effective treatment against
parasites, bacteria, fungi and viruses. These days, it is the essential oil that is used for killing off these
Recent studies have found that oregano oil is very effective in killing and controlling the spread of many types
of parasites, including head lice. It is the action of the oil’s two main active components, carvacrol and thymol,
that is responsible for this.
Killing Head Lice with Oil of Oregano
You can completely eliminate head lice using the
• Use the oil of oregano shampoo treatment. In your regular shampoo, mix one full dropper of oregano
oil. This is equivalent to about 30 drops to 15 ml or 1 tbsp of shampoo. Soak your hair and scalp with warm
water and then use this shampoo. Let it stay there for about 5 minutes, and then rinse your hair
• Add 60 to 90 drops of oil of oregano to a bowl of hot water. Wash your infected clothes and bedding in
• Add 5 drops of oregano oil to 2 liters of hot water and soak your infected combs, hair accessories and