Oil Of Oregano Benefits
Oil of oregano comes from the wild oregano plant Origanum vulgare which grows on the hilltops of Greece,
Portugal and Turkey.
Recent studies and experiments conducted on this substance confirm the presence of potent substances that can
kill different types of bacteria, fungus and parasites. The ancient Greeks used this plant to treat their common
illnesses and the studies and experiments conducted by our modern scientists have now validated this practice.
This essential oil contains many potent substances that can be used to treat a wide range of diseases. Some
experts believe that the right combination of the soil nutrients and the climate in these Mediterranean countries
are the reasons why this oil has so many potent substances. The studies have also shown that oregano oil contains
two active agents, carvacrol and thymol. These two substances act synergistically in fighting against many types of
bacteria, fungus and parasites.
The essential oil is extracted from the crushed leaves of the wild plant using the cold process. No heat is
involved in the extraction of the oil so that the potent nutrients in the plant are preserved. A daily dose of
this essential oil will make you more healthy.
There are many benefits that you can get from this essential oil. Here is a list of of what you can expect
if you regularly take oil of oregano.
1) It is an effective anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-parasitical agent – experiments
have shown that oreganol is more effective in killing harmful pathogens than over the counter drugs and
antibiotics. It can be used to treat colds, flu, eczema, bacterial infections and a host of other diseases.
2) It is safe to use – the experiments also showed that oregano oil has no adverse
side effects when used as a form of treatment.
3) It is an effective anti-oxidant – oil of oregano contains rosmarinic acid, an anti-oxidant
and antihistamine. This can help reduce your allergic reactions and effectively fight free radical formation in
4) It contains essential minerals – taking oregano oil will increase your intake of essential
minerals like iron and manganese. Adequate supply of iron in your system will treat your insomnia, improve the
quality of your sleep and lower your risks for cancer. Adequate amounts of manganese help your metabolism and
calcium absorption. It will also regulate your blood sugar levels.
5) It is effective as a topical treatment for fungal infections of the skin and nails – warts
can be removed by applying oil of oregano in full strength. 5 to 10 drops of oil of oregano mixed with one teaspoon
of virgin coconut oil or olive oil will treat your fungal skin infection on your fingernails and toenails.
6) It can be used as an anti-inflammatory agent – if taken internally, oreganol will act as a
pain reliever and give relief for people who are suffering from arthritis, tendonitis and joint pains. When used as
a topical treatment, the oil will penetrate deep beneath the skin’s surface and will help reduce the pain as well
as the swelling.
7) It can treat oral infections and can be used for oral hygiene – if your teeth or gums are
infected you can use oregano oil in full strength. Since it acts as an anti-bacterial agent, you can use it to kill
bacteria that cause plaque formation. Just add a few drops of oil to your toothpaste when brushing your teeth.
8) You can use it as a decongestant and anti-allergy remedy – this oil contains natural
antihistamines and decongestants therefore you can use it for relieving yourself of the symptoms of colds, such as
itchy eyes and nose, sneezing and congestion. Just dilute 5 to 6 drops of oregano oil with olive oil in a small
glass of water. Immediately follow it up with another glass of water and you will be relieved of the symptoms.
9) It will help your digestion – oil of oregano will improve your digestion by inducing the
secretion of your digestive juices.
10) For women, it can help in the regularization of their menstruation – it will give relief
to those who have obstructed menses. It can also reduce the negative effects of menopause.
11) It can inhibit the growth of enteric parasites – oregano oil can be used against
parasitic infiltration within and outside the body. This includes tape worms, round worms, lice, fleas, mosquitoes
and bed bugs. A 6-week study on individuals showed that daily supplementation of 600 mg of oil of oregano resulted
in the complete elimination of harmful microorganisms in their system.
From the above list, you can easily see that oregano oil is indeed very beneficial to us. It can treat many of
our diseases and we can also use it as a daily supplement to improve our health. It is an effective form of
treatment and it is very safe to use.